Last week was the first time in my life that I have been home sick for an entire five days. In fact, I rarely get sick other than a cold or flu. Monday morning, I woke, fed the cats and dressed to go on my usual run. I pushed myself out the door, just as I had been doing for the last couple of weeks. Well, about halfway through my run, I started getting nauseated and ran out of energy. I ended up walking the rest of the way home. By 8:30, I was still feeling nauseated and not very well and called in ill to work. To make a long story short, I had a fever and nausea for most of the week, had no appetite whatsoever and slept a lot. On Tuesday, the doctor told me to try to fight off whatever it was with my own resources, but to pick up antibiotics if I was not remarkably better toward the end of the week. About six hours after taking my first dose of antibiotics on Thursday, I finally began to feel better. Now, I am not 100%, but I am on the mend.

During the week, writing was the last thing on my mind. I seriously thought I was going to die. Well, on Friday night, I could not get to sleep- I tossed and turned, read, had a small bowl of cereal. Nothing would lead me into that sweet slumber. Finally, I brought my laptop into my room and wrote on my novel. Once I let my characters come out and live their lives, I was finally able to get to sleep.

Now that I have made changed in the plot of my story, it is moving along quite well. My critique group likes it thus far. I no longer feel like I am trying to force the story, but that the story is now coming together on its own. My job is to make sure I sit down and write, and to write to the best of my ability. All I can say is that it is coming along.

The other thing on my plate is my upcoming class reunion. Thirty years. I told the reunion head that I would love to help find missing students. To be honest, I could not recall how many kids I graduated with and expected there might be 15 or 20 missing students. Well, there was around one hundred! (I now know our graduating class must have been over 200!) I did not know how I was going to do this, but I truly believe where there is a will, there is a way. The glass is always half full in any given circumstance. Finally, I discovered USSearch, an extensive public records database, was offering a seven-day free trial. I found addresses for 88 missing kids! Some addresses I’m sure of, others are as sure as I can get right now.

I feel well and blessed today. Happy writing all!

5 thoughts on “

  1. Glad you're feeling better, Susan! Sounds like you're going to need that extra energy, re:searching for all those missing classmates. I suspect you'll find them with your positive attitude.

    And happy too that you're novel is coming together the way you hoped it would. And on you go!


  2. Hi Dorraine,

    Thank you so much! After taking a walk on my lunch break today, I realized I have to wait a few more days before running again. I don't quite have all my energy back!


  3. I'm sorry to hear that you were sick and that's quite remarkable that you could only sleep after working on your novel. Maybe the sickness was linked to your writing in some way?

    Good luck tracking down all those students. I can't imagine going to my high school reunion and seeing all those familiar faces that are now unrecognisable. Hee hee, it would probably be quite funny.



Comments are closed.